who is Cognition?
We are a multidisplinary RIBA Chartered architecture studio based in London and was initially founded in 2016 and relaunched in 2018 by the director David Adjei.
what does Cognition do?
We are renowned for our unique buildings and our commitment to design excellence and innovation, which we have developed in work across the residential, commercial and sports markets
how does Cognition work?
We implement the latest technologies at the forefront of the architectural design industry, including BIM, to deliver our schemes.
why is Cognition here?
Our aim is to develop functional and aesthetically pleasing buildings that serve the purposes of its users and the wider public for many years to come.
- Experience working with Homeowners, Architects, Developers and Local Authorities on challenging and complex sites.
- Track record of designing and delivering projects that raise aspirations and change perceptions of housing in challenging neighbourhoods.
- Extensive experience in Design, Planning and Delivery stages.
- At the forefront of housing design in the UK, respected by peers and critics alike.
- Practice of people, all focused on housing, mixed- use and masterplanning projects as well as research.
- A Practice that understands the commercial aspects of development as in 2017 we launched our sister company Cognition Estates, which focuses on property development and has delivered schemes with returns as high as 32% Profit on Costs.
- Alongside our residential projects we have a number of civic and retail projects as part of mixed- use schemes for Local Authorities and Developers.
Cognition is an independent practice at the forefront of housing design, technological innovation and other major projects across London.
Our individual building projects – including masterplans, urban regeneration programmes, mixed-use and tenure housing and estate renewal projects – range from £3m to £1b in value. We have an impressive track record of designing projects in the most challenging locations that have previously stalled or were historically unviable. Many of these projects are now on site and completing in 2019. We have always been motivated to work directly with the public sector and their chosen project partners to achieve maximum value capture and achieve the highest design and social outcomes on all of our schemes. These outcomes can be mutually beneficial and through working with local residents & stakeholders, good design and strategic thinking can help improve the built fabric and social & economic life of London.
Director David Adjei founded the practice with the sole intent to raise standards in architectural design and project delivery in the UK after 40 years of neglect.
David has taught mentees extensively, but practice and building have been a paramount focus. He maintains a hands-on role and is actively involved in all projects. The knowledge and understanding the practice has developed is almost unrivalled and is bookmarked by our own successful property developments.
As a strong believer in raising aspiration and opportunities in the challenging neighbourhoods we work in, David lends his support to numerous youth and young peoples’ charities. He has also been invited to lecture / talk on the Practice’s work at the numerous high profile universities in the UK.
David Adjei PG Dip MArch BArch (Hons) RIBA ARB
Director & Founder